Pass/No Pass

If a course is listed in the College Catalog as “Letter Grade or Pass/No Pass Option,” a student may choose to take the course with a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) grade.

The Pass/No Pass grade option is available through the add deadline of the course.

Receiving a Pass/No Pass demonstrates that a student completed the course but may or may not have passed the course.

  • P – “Pass” is equivalent to a satisfactory grade of “C.” In addition, a “P” will award units completed, but will not be computed into the grade point average.
  • NP – “No Pass” is a substandard grade, equivalent to the grades of “D” or “F.” As of Fall 2021, “NP” grades will not be computed into the grade point average and will not enter into calculations for progress probation or dismissal.

The Pass/No Pass grade option may impact your educational and transfer plans.  We encourage you to speak to a counselor. They can advise you on your best options toward degree/certificate completion and transfer.

Steps to update to Pass/No Pass

  • Login to myGateway
  • Click ‘Update Grade to Pass/No Pass’ in the Registration Tools box
  • Click on the drop-down arrow located next to the course you want to change to P/NP
  • Click Submit
  • You will see a confirmation message “changed by student” in the grade mode field.

Spring 2023 P/NP deadline dates:

  • Semester length courses deadline – Saturday, May 20, 2023
  • Short-term courses deadline – “W” deadline for that specific class

Pass/No Pass Exception

Note: If you are not able to update your course to Pass/No Pass via myGateway by the above deadlines you may petition for an exception by completing an Extenuating Circumstance Petition.